Sunday, March 9, 2014

Adventures in traveling with the Kid, Part I



Our view from topside on te MegaBus, ORL to JAX. 


We had a pleasant 1 day vaca in central Florida. Thankfully, the Kid got out of riding in te Van Fri night. Unfortunately, he did not take advantage of that time to sleep. 

He slept 11:30-1:45. Then I woke him up to leave. The actual departure was from Dwntwn JAX an hour later. (Cum Sleep: 2:15)

He slept the entire ride to ORL, 3:00-5:15am. We disembarked and walked across to wait for the local commuter bus to KIS, Lynx 18. (Cum Sleep: 4:30)

There was no sleeping on LYNX 18. We arrived at KIS (intermodal station) at 7am. My sister took us to her house and the Kid went directly to bed. My Sis and I went to Shades of Green. We bought a 4 day park hopper, good through Sept, for the Boy. We returned about 10:00 and I woke the Kid up. So he slept 7:20-10:10. He got ready and we left for parks. (Cum Sleep: 7hr 20min)

The trip began in EPCOT, per his request. He & I went on Mission: Space. Alighting from the ride, I told him my face and neck were perspiring. Maybe motion sickness symptoms in old age. 

We went in single rider line for Test Track. I ended up getting of line after he got on ride. Met my sis at end of ride and we waited for Kid to get off. 



Next, we took some pics around te water between future world and world showcase. 

We went into world showcase and decided to get lunch. Went to get CroNuts first. The sensational dessert, launched in NYC by chef Dominique Ansel at his SoHo bakery, had NYers lined up for hours to buy them. We faced no lines. Priced at under $5, EPCOTs version was coated in a cinnamon topping. Patricia took the top layer (and all the cinnamon with it!) and I ate the rest. The Kid also ate one. It was good! But not wait for hours good. Thankfully we didn't have to. 

Dessert taken care of, we let the Kid pick the dining spot. He chose Dragons Nine in China. Patricia ordered spring rolls and ate about 1/3 of one. The Kid and I both got a spicy beef steak dish. It had diff color bell peppers and onions. We also had some dim sum (pork) for the table, but I had to eat 2/3 of it. 

We continued around the world show case, the returned to the water taxi area to take the boat around the lagoon. After that we went to World of Coke and the Kid tried every flavor. His favorite was from Indonesia. He did not like the Italian offering. 

We then left EPCOT for Animal Kingdom. My sister took the Kid to Expedition Everest, stood in the single rider line with him while I waited in the truck. Then they returned to the truck and we left for Disney's Hollywood Studios. 

At the Studios, the Kid and I mad a bee line for Rock & Roller Coaster. We stopped just outside, however, when we saw a FastPass+ line. We waited there 18 min and it was a big waste of time. We got FP+ for Star Tours for 6:15-7:15 and Tower of Terror for 8:30-9:25. Since we had Dinner reservations near Sea World for 8:30, that last one wasn't happening.

The single rider line moved slowly throught Rock & Roller Coaster. By the time we got out, Patricia was already out of the Beauty and The Beast Musical. Also, my walking for the day was done. The nerves in my feet so shot, my feet were like cinder blocks at the bottom of my feet. I sat the next two hours and spent the final 1/2 hour walking the parking lot to the Truck. 

Pat took over the Tour Guide duties with the Kid. He seemed o have had fun with her. 

We drove to Delmonico's and met Marty. Everyone had some type of pasta dinner. The Major had Frutti de Mare. I had linguini & clam sauce. The Kid had a 1 lb. piece of lasagna. Marty exclaimed at the end that he had never seen a plate so clean & cleared. We went back to my sister's and everyone went to bed. 

My sister and I went out to Publix some time after 7. I woke the Kid up after 10, and my sister made bacon & eggs breakfast for the Kid and Marty. I ate 1/2 of a Publix sub. 

They drove us to the bus station in ORL. We were the last to embark b/c of the wheelchair. Traffic has been at a standstill after Deland on I-4 for 40 min. This is going to mean a late arrival in JAX, and an unhappy Brooks. The Kid is currently unfazed by the delay and is again sleeping. He's only 14. 


Like I said, Life is Good. No hope, no Love. But for now, some purpose. The Kid. 

No comments: